The Geneva History Museum has been participating in the American Association for State and Local History (AASLH) StEPs program since 2014. StEPs is the Standards and Excellence Program for History Organizations which offers museums of every size and type the opportunity to benchmark their work against nationally recognized standards. It is a self-study program designed […]
Advertisement from The Geneva Republican Newspaper, January 15, 1943 This is a weekly post in celebration of the Geneva History Museum’s 75th anniversary, 1943 – 2018.
Beginning in the 1920s, service stations began popping up along the main streets of Geneva, Batavia and St. Charles. The Pure Oil Gasoline and Service Station building at 502 West State Street in Geneva was built in 1937 by August Wilson, a local general contractor also known for constructing Geneva’s City Hall and many commercial […]
Article from The Geneva Republican Newspaper, January 8, 1943 “Geneva Public School inaugurating a plan whereby pupils may get a half pint bottle of milk to be consumed on the premises at 1 cent a bottle. This milk will be of quality equal to that for which the pupils have heretofore paid 3 cents.” This […]
The Geneva History Museum hosted their Annual Member’s Celebration Monday evening, December 4, 2017. To start the evening, an addition to the lobby donor wall was unveiled. Rooted in history…Growing Together is the theme that symbolizes the growth of the Geneva History Museum. The basis of the design is a tree, painted by Museum Board […]
The original home at 404 S. Third Street was built for Polly Patten Clark in 1867. Edmond and Kate Raftery purchased the property in 1919 and by 1922 they converted the carriage house into the “Geneva Gift Shop” where items from abroad were sold to the public. At the age of 52, without any business […]
The Geneva History Museum is pleased to announce that Mick Zollers has been named Historian Emeritus by a unanimous vote of the Museum’s Board of Directors. Historian Emeritus is an honorary perpetual status of founders or individuals of distinction who have moved the organization to new heights. “Mick’s long time dedication to the museum, his […]
The building at 113 South Third Street is now home to the Geneva History Museum. It received a bronze plaque recognition in 2017 based on the date of construction being over 100 years old and its historical significance. The original portion of the building housed one of the longest continually operated businesses in Geneva. From […]