(Headline from The Geneva Republican Newspaper, July 23, 1943, the same year the Geneva Historical Society was formed.)
This is a post in celebration of the Geneva History Museum’s 75th anniversary, 1943 – 2018.
The East Side honor plaque that was dedicated on Sunday, May 23, has since had two wings added to care for the names of the young men and women who have entered the armed forces of the country.
The plaque, erected by the East Side Improvement association, was worked out by a committee consisting of Ernest Dahlin, Alvar Lindahl and Arthur Pierson.
This honor roll is suspended between two rustic logs, surmounted by the American Eagle. Each name, on an individual plate, is securely mounted on the plaque. The grounds have been landscaped and a flag pole erected on which the stars and stripes float each day. The entire setting is a beautiful one.
The dedication of the honor plaque was held on Sunday afternoon and a torrential rain upset the program somewhat and made the taking of a picture impossible. The principal address of the dedication ceremonies was by Mr. Wilbur Peak.
(The East Side honor plaque was at the northeast corner of Route 25 and Route 38.)