Built in the 1850s for C. B. Wells, this building was cited by the Historic Building Survey of 1934 as one of the finest examples of Greek Revival style. Charles Wells was a politically-active, influential lawyer that rose to the rank of major in the Civil War. After the war he opened an office in Chicago. In 1908, Dr. Raymond Scott founded Colonial Hospital in this building which served Geneva until it was outgrown in 1925. The small hospital had just ten rooms and later served as a training school for nurses. By the 1950s, it had been converted into retail shops including the once popular Robin’s Bookshop, the history of which is detailed in the Geneva History Museum feature exhibition “Inside & Out: Geneva’s Faces, Places & Spaces.”
A photographic presentation of Geneva’s most visible historic buildings, including this one, with reference to their architectural details and styles will be featured during the Geneva History Museum Brown Bag program at noon on October 10.
Registration is $5/person, $3/Museum Members and can be made here.